Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fitting In

The other night we attended a seminar about the Asian culture. We got to the student union in plenty of time to have our choice of seats but Chris, Jeremy and I were drawn to the middle back section of the room. We found 4 in a row and plopped down. Ben shuffled around a little and said, "I can't see from here. I'll be down there." He found a comfortable seat between to college students in the very front row.

I watched him throughout the seminar that, I have to admit, earned a few yawns from me, but Ben was attentive. One speaker, asking for audience participation rewarded a correct answer with candy. Ben was in! She showed slides of familiar Asian people, places and things and Ben kept his eyes focused on the screen. Finally, his hand went up, "Those are the Shaolin Monks!" Give the kid a Butterfinger! He sat there for the entirety of the seminar in full conversation with the kids around him.

This morning we were at breakfast. Ben was quietly eating then stood up and called across the dining hall, "Brenna! Brenna!" I looked up and saw a tall blonde walking our way, "Hi, Ben! Are we playing soccer today?" He shrugged his shoulders and pointed at me. I introduced myself and Brenna continued talking to Ben. He shot me a look which jogged my memory...Ahh! Ben had told me he met a girl from Marquette playing soccer! We exchanged a few tidbits of info proving that WE ARE MARQUETTE and Ben was noncommittal about her request for another soccer game. Jeremy, on the other hand, started asking me questions about my alma mater ; )

And just now, Ben says to me, "This guy I met the other, night...he is David Robinsons' son. Who is David Robinson?"

3 comments:

  1. Culture and surprises everywhere! Ben, post some pics of Brenna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg. candy for questions. soccer playin' coeds. and kids with very tall dads. tell my neph that if "the admiral" was on that trip, not only would he be able steer the ship but he'd dunk on everyone during his lunch breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt in my mind that Ben is enjoying this trip. How about Jer? Is he having more fun? That was cute that he was reading to that little boy and teaching English. Are you taking any classes like Chris?

    ReplyDelete