Thursday, January 10, 2013

Embarkation Pt. 2 - Puerta de Ensenada

The 2 hour bus ride went by fast as we entertained ourselves by meeting the other passengers around us.

As we boarded the MV Explorer, it was the first real moment that I realized exactly what we were about to do and the fear was substituted with excitement.

We had a special orientation meeting for "Life Long Learners". That's what they call the adult passengers who are not full time students collecting credits to graduate. Among us was a mother of five, who are all on board with her! I'm not sure if the ages but i think her oldest is 15. Brave woman! Her husband will join them intermittently while he continues to work back home. We ran into Amy again briefly at the spa, probably booking her first escape appointment ; )

Dinner was as I expected. College quality food served buffet style. And I'm not complaining! As long as I know we have clean, healthy food to eat as we travel to all of these countries, I am AOK!

We had our first lifeboat drill. It was a rather lengthy one and took a toll on a couple of people as we stood on the rocking vessel. Fortunately for me, the wave of nausea started just as the drill ended. I forgot to pack my sea legs.

We returned our life jackets to the rooms and head up and out to the bow of the ship for our departure. It was dark and Puerta de Ensenada was glowing. Three short (but startling) blasts from the ship's horn and we were off! The start of our voyage.

When we returned, our luggage had been delivered. Surprisingly, all of our belongings fit into our compact quarters with room to spare! But moving around the cabin made my queasiness a little more apparent. I popped 2 Pepto Bismol tabs and slipped on my Sea Bands. The ship listed all night and I slept like a baby! This morning I feel like a new person ; )










2 comments:

  1. You are barely out there and those are very interesting people tha you met already. It is starting to be a REAL adventure. Wow. that lady with 5 children is brave. I hope her husband is really going to meet them somewhere. I talked to Maura yesterday to tell her about your blog and she asked me for the address. I called her because I was humored when you said that you feel like you are on MTV. Give all of you a hug from me.
    Love,
    Mom & Baba

    ReplyDelete